This past month has been fast and furious ..it seemed as if there was a nightly game. I thought it would behoove us to look at some our our newer players.
Here are some facts about one of our new players that may surprise more than a few of us.
Shelden DeMar Williams (born October 21, 1983 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. His size (6'9", 250 lbs), aggressive style of play, and shot-blocking ability earned him the nickname "The Landlord." During high school, Williams was a member of the National Honor Society and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He earned the 2005 and 2006 NABC Defensive Player of the Year Awards while at Duke, becoming only the fifth player in history to earn the award two consecutive years. He holds Duke's career blocks record, single-season blocks record, and career rebounding record, while he is 17th in career blocks on the NCAA charts. He is the third player in ACC history to have 1,500 points, 1,000 rebounds and 350 blocks (joining Tim Duncan and Ralph Sampson). His 1,217 rebounds and 1,859 career points rank him seventh in ACC history and sixteenth in Duke history, respectively. Williams became only the third Duke basketball player to record a triple-double when Duke defeated Maryland on January 11, 2006, recording 19 points, 11 rebounds and 10 blocks.
Worth repeating :
As of graduating from Duke University, Williams held records for:
- Duke all-time leader in blocked shots (422)
- Duke all-time leader in rebounds
- Duke single season blocked shots
- National Association of Basketball Coaches Defensive Player of the Year: 2005, 2006
- Associated Press First Team All American: 2006
- John R. Wooden First Team All American: 2006
- Senior CLASS All-Senior All American Team: 2006
- John R. Wooden National Player of the Year Finalist: 2006
- NBA Rookie of the Month: April 2007
Pehaps this guy is a keeper if given a chance???? *All Info from Wikipedia.